Monday, January 28, 2019

Perspective


Learning vocabulary in another language is easy. Communicating to people in a language you are learning is a completely different challenge.  I often leave a French conversation wondering if they understood what I was trying to put forth, (or did they understand the exact opposite?). It is frustrating, and I am realizing that this is not a phenomena special to learning a foreign language. 

Reviewing the words I speak in French many times over has forced me to review the words I speak in English with English speakers....and this is my conclusion....communication is VERY difficult...and sometimes I don't comprehend the perspective or intent of the person I am speaking to. My son shakes his head in impatience when I ask him to clarify or repeat...but I don't want to assume any more that I understand the intent of what he means. Nor do I want to fail when communicating my responses. I am very aware that the words I use are often misunderstood, even if my intent may be clear.  Funny how learning a 2nd language is emphasizing what I am still grasping about communicating in my mother tongue...so to all my family, friends, and fabulous people that I have met through community, thank you for your continued patience!

Now, back to what you really came here for...
Frank pulled over near a concrete canal which many would just pass by...this gorgeous landscape only unfolds when one is willing to overlook and leave out the harshness of human construction. A closer look reveals the simple beauty of the hills and valleys; the quaint village in the distance...


View towards Cadenet, 30x40" original oil painting by Frank Bruckmann©

A typical table d'orientation with its 360 perspective from atop a mountain in the Gigondas region

Here is the view in one direction, the Dentelles of Gigondas. Found this place with my weekly hiking group which is comprised of an international crew, mostly French or French speaking Anglo Expats with a few Dutch  and Israeli hikers sprinkled in for fun. They are all my French teachers...so grateful.

this is the coffee/yoga part of Frank's day....
He is looking at grape vines (cep de vigne) differently, painting the energy and motion in their woody, gnarly limbs.  Like painters before him, he is exploring the standstill/movement, the human/inhumanness of their structure.

Whether looking at the bottom of her bowl or from the ruins above our village,
I imagine it's all good...from a dog's perspective....



And, I leave this gem right here for you....


the importance of silliness for its own sake. 



1 comment: